Most research-related activities in ATU are led under the Vice-Presidency for Research. The Research-VP is divided into four main sections, each directed in the form of a "Directorate". The Directorates dealing with research affairs in ATU are as follows:
- Directorate for Research Affairs, dealing with national research projects, faculty members' research grants, encouraging students and professors to publish more quality research and publications, supporting scientific chairs, supporting the establishment and activities of the centre of excellence, etc.
- Directorate for International Academic Cooperation, supporting the organisation of international conferences and seminars; supporting and coordinating inbound and outbound mobilities for students and faculty members; sending students and faculty members to spend sabbaticals in universities abroad; sending students and faculty members to present papers in international conferences, etc. More information on the Directorate for International Academic Cooperation is available from its webpage.
- ATU Press, producing and publishing books and scholarly journals;
- Central Library and Documentation Centre, online and print publication of Master's theses and PhD dissertations; buying and providing access to books and journals in Persian, English, Arabic, German, Chinese, French, Russian, and other languages; managing the Digital Library; providing access to Iranian (Magiran, Civilica, Noormags, Ganj) and international (EBSCO, Scopus, Emerald, Ebrary, Palgrave, Proquest, ScienceDirect, Sage) databases, etc.
Below, the main research categories in ATU are introduced and contact information in each case is provided.
ATU is happily providing research opportunities and mobilities to its lecturers and students. Each year an average of 6 faculty members are going on sabbaticals and an average of 15 postgraduate students are also visiting foreign universities for six months to conduct research and enrich their Master's theses / PhD dissertations.
Moreover, each year, on average, about 5 academics visit ATU for research purposes. If you are interested in spending your sabbatical/research mobility at ATU, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Moreover, the following email addresses are available to help you find the best way to spend your research visit at ATU.
- Officer for Incoming Student Mobilities: Ms Faezeh Ghasemi, email@example.com.
- Officer for Incoming Faculty / Staff Mobilities: Ms Mandana Sajjadi, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATU is well active and highly welcome in doing joint research projects at national, regional, and international levels. As the university's focus is on the humanities and social sciences, all proposals related to these areas and to the interdisciplinary areas having some relevance to humans or society are highly welcome to be sent to Mr Seyed Hossein Tabatabainasab, the officer in charge of International Joint Projects at email@example.com.
During recent years, ATU has gained reasonable experience in doing the European Commission and other research funding projects. In what follows, a number of international projects performed by ATU's faculty members are introduced:
Research Projects Supported by Major International Organisations
|Partner Organisation||Project title||Date|
|WHO||Promoting Media Literacy for Iranian Health Ministry Managers||2019-Present|
|UNESCO||UNESCO Chair on Science and Technology Communication at Allameh Tabataba'i University||2018-Present|
Joint Projects Supported by the European Commission
|Project Type||Project Title||Duration|
|Erasmus+ Capacity Building in the Field of Higher Education||Internationalization of Higher Education in Iran (IHEI)||2015-2018|
|Erasmus+ Jean Monnet Project||The Study of Common Foreign and Security Policy of European Union: Implications for Iran||2018-2019|
|Erasmus+ Jean Monnet Project||European Union Plans and Experiences for Public Libraries (Applicability for Iran) (EUPPL)||2019-Present|
Other Joint Research Projects
|Project title||Partner institute||Country||Date|
|The Values and Attitudes of the People of Kabul||Gawharshad University||Afghanistan||2017-2018|
|Coping with Culture-based Stress and Its Psychosocial Effects on Undergraduate Students||University of Windsor||Canada||2018-2019|
|Empowerment and Coping Strategies Among Female-Headed Households in Iran and Denmark: Similarities and Differences||University of Copenhagen||Denmark||2017-2018|
|Patient, Improved Individual, and Family Involvement in Child Cancer Care (Identify Factors Affecting Expectations and Experience of Patient-Family Involvement)||International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP)||France||2019-2020|
|Implementation of the Principle of Minimality of Criminal Law in the Area of Crime Response||Max Planck Institute||Germany||2017-2018|
|Numerical Methods for Solving Financial Models||University of Padua||Italy||2017-2018|
|Possible Graphical Models and Their Application to Three-Dimensional Gene Structure in Bioinformatics Discussion||University of Warsaw||Poland||2017-2018|
|A Comparative Study of Behavioral Habits in Farsi and Russian||Moscow State University||Russia||2017-2018|
|A Comparison of Speech Interaction "Request" in Russian and Iranian Verbal Environment (Request and beg)||Moscow State University||Russia||2018-2019|
|Iran's Historical Heritage in Ossetia||Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences||Russia||2018-2019|
|Albanian and Persian Conjunctive Syntax: A Descriptive Approach||University of St. Cyril and Methodius in Trnava||Slovakia||2018-2019|
|Iranian Academic Diasporas Abroad: A Case Study of Spain||University of Pompeo Fabra||Spain||2017-2018|
|Electronic Services Evaluation - Electronic Banking Services||Autonomous University of Madrid||Spain||2017-2018|
|Four Hundred Years of Iran-Spain Relations||Autonomous University of Madrid||Spain||2017-2018|
|Social Assistance Schemes in Developing Countries||University of Manchester||United Kingdom||2017-2018|
Research activities at ATU are mainly conducted in Research Centres. There are, to date, 7 Research Centres, 2 Research Departments, and 1 Research Laboratory in Cognitive Science:
- Allameh Lahuri Centre for Persian Literary Research
- Centre for Communications Research
- Centre for Research in Cultural Studies
- Centre for Economic Research
- Centre for Research in Tourism
- Centre for Research in Translation Studies
- Centre for Research in the Evolution of Humanities
- Research Department of Basic Quranic Studies
- Research Department of Youth's Socio-Cultural Studies
- Laboratory for Research in Cognitive Science
Cooperation of Our Staff with International Journals
Our faculty members are actively involved in local and international research. Owing to their excellence in their fields of study, ATU faculty are invited by international journals to participate in their editorial boards. Below the academic members from ATU who are, or were previously collaborating with international journals are briefly reviewed. The list is by no means exhaustive and needs to be completed.